All children have dignity and worth. We believe children can behave appropriately. Our goal is to help students develop self-discipline and respect for others as well as themselves. We believe discipline is the responsibility of students, teachers, parents and administrators.
Washington School students are expected to:
- Respect the authority of teachers and other school personnel;
- Respect the rights, dignity and property of others;
- Respect the safety of themselves and others;
- Respect their own learning time and the learning time of others.
If a student chooses to break a rule, the following consequences may result:
- Teacher may issue a warning or have a conference with the student.
- Student may receive a “time-out” in another room.
- Student may have recess privileges taken away.
- Teacher may contact home.
- Teacher may send student to principal's office.
- Parent - Teacher - Student, may conference.
- In cases of potential danger to another person, or extreme disruption of the learning process, a student may be suspended from school and sent home. Behavior contracts will be written when appropriate.
Bicycles, Skateboards, Etc.
Skateboards, scooters, and roller blades can be brought to school but must not be used on the school yard. There are racks on the playground for bicycles. Be sure the bicycle has a lock. We cannot be responsible for anything that might happen to a bicycle while on the school grounds. Bicycle riding is not permitted on the school campus. Students not following the above rules will be asked to leave these items at home.
Cell Phones, Electronic Devices, and Toys
Students are not to bring radios, iPods, Gameboys, or other electronic devices to school.
Toys (including game cards), HEELIES, and any other items that are not specifically used as part of classroom instruction are not permitted on the school campus.
Students may carry cell phones, but they must be turned off and put away during the entire school day. If you need to communicate a message to your child during the school day, you may contact the office and we will relay the information to your child.
At Washington School we value time-on-task. Therefore, we try to minimize classroom interruptions. If you need to bring something or leave a message for your child, please contact the office before lunch time and your call will be forwarded to the teacher?s voice mail so the entire class will not be disrupted. The student will be notified by the teacher or the office.